What is a Legals Only ceremony?
A Legals Only ceremony fulfils the basic requirements to be legally married in Australia.
There is no ceremony script with only the minimum legal wording being stated by the couple and their celebrant.
What type of couples have a Legals Only ceremony?
These ceremonies are suitable for all couples who –
- Just want to get married.
- Want to marry now and have postponed celebrations to a later time (I agree, COVID sucks!)
- Are travelling overseas for work or for a destination wedding and want their marriage to be recognised in Australia.
- Want a stress free, relaxed way to get married.
- Want to marry in secret.
- Are on a fiancé visa.
What do we need to do?
- Every person who marries in Australia must meet all of the legal requirements. (https://heartfeltoccasions.com.au/important-information/)
- A Notice of Intended Marriage must be completed by the couple.
- The Notice can be sent to me via post or email once it is completed.
- The Notice has to be with me at least one calendar month prior to your ceremony date.
- The couple need to provide certain documents prior to the ceremony (I will let you know about those).
- All documents can be sent to me electronically.
- The payment of a booking fee confirms the date and time of your ceremony in my diary.
- Not sure where to have the ceremony? You may like to marry at home, in a public park or at your favourite café.
On the day….
- You will need to ask two witnesses over the age of eighteen to attend the ceremony.
- We will sign a statutory declaration.
- The couple state the legally required words. I state the celebrant’s required words.
- I will supply a printed copy of what you will need to say to each other. Don’t stress, you don’t have to remember anything.
- Everyone signs the marriage certificate.
- Congratulations, you’re married!
Whilst there is no ceremony script, couples are still able to…
- Write your own promises or vows to each other.
- Exchange rings as a symbol of your commitment.
- Ask a photographer to take some photos.
- Celebrate in whatever way you want by pop the champagne, crack open a beer or traditionally, seal the deal with a kiss!
What are the Fees for a Legals Only Ceremony?
My fee for a Legals Only ceremony is $460 which includes your Official Marriage Certificate from NSW Births, Death and Marriages.
Don’t put off getting married any longer. If you think a Legals Only ceremony might be for you or if you have any questions then please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org